about me

Monday, June 19, 2017

berlin marathon training, week 2: humidity, we meet again

Training in the summer has its drawbacks...

Monday

Rowing
Upper Body Strength

Apparently I did not take any pictures this day. 

Tuesday

5 mi Speedwork / 8:33 pace
Lower Body Strength



Thankfully my company gym at my new workplace is free! So I like to workout after work in order to avoid traffic and it keeps me eating smart throughout the day (otherwise...stomach issues during a run). Felt pretty good during this one!

Wednesday

7 mi / 9:03 pace
Upper Body Strength


Looks nice, right? Wrong.

I worked from home this day due to many interviews (all on the phone) so I was able to get outside for my planned tempo run before work. It was supposed to be 1 mi warm up, 5 mi at tempo, and 1 mi cool down but uh, the humidity, lower body strength and other body things thought otherwise. Got the miles in though.


For Milan, I gave up fish in addition to meat. Needless to say, I am not doing that again. Sweet potatoes, salmon and tuna (not pictured) have been top of mind for me. 

Thursday

Spinning / Yoga class


Roasted Vegetable Bowl from Cultivate in Chagrin Falls.

Work really has some good local health and wellness hook ups. Every Thursday we can go to a local spinning studio for a free class after work. I went to it this week, and it turns out the hour is split - first half hour is spinning (not as easy as it appears..) and then the last half hour is whatever the instructor wants - this time it was yoga!


Someone's Jeni's. Not mine obviously.

And there's a step challenge at work, so I walked around Chagrin Falls and the surrounding neighborhoods for a bit - it was a nice summer evening!

Friday

Lower Body Strength
Hot Yoga



I decided to walk to work (not work in the suburbs but another one of our locations near downtown) on Friday. This was...hot. I wore long jeans and it was a regret once I hit the bridge. 2 miles later I arrived in full on sweat. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Also hit up Hot Yoga after work - my goal is to go to Yoga at least once per week this training cycle! I say this every time but I'm feeling good about following through with this. 

Saturday

Rest


Ollie takes Rest Days very seriously.


Walked to West Side Market for some produce per usual.


Had a healthy lunch. Then.. a second lunch at a birthday party. Looking back, I didn't eat much during the week..and I legitimately was just hungry all throughout the day...(drank water every time I was hungry and nope..even hungrier)


Ohio City Pasta - Lemon Basil noodles just with Garlic olive oil. So. Good. I love my pasta dinners the night before a long run!

Sunday

15 mi run / 9:13 avg
(5 mi pre-race 9:03 pace, 10 mi race 9:18 pace)


The sun rise...


Was gorgeous!

So I signed up for a 10 mile race this day... and I had 15 scheduled for my long run. I was very torn about getting 5 in before vs. after but decided to just do it before so it would force me to take the race easy. Needless to say, that technique worked.


My goal pace was 9:08 for 15 so I'm content with averaging at 9:13 considering the heat.

I pretty much felt death hit around mile 3 of the 10 mile race. I regret not having a gel before the race to refuel from my first run. Stopped at every aid station for both water and gatorade, and walked quite a bit. But survived! (though I must say I've never felt so terrible those few minutes after crossing the finish line..) 


Refueled Ohio-style with fish and pierogis. Not pictured: more pierogis at dinner. 

Overall, not a bad week. Going have to learn how to make humidity work for me here.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment