about me

Sunday, June 28, 2015

the heat is on!

This week was pretty low-key with the last week of heat here in Flag.  

 Mom, why is it so hot? Hey, can we still cuddle though?

I went on a 5 mile hike after work alongside the eastern side of Mt. Elden.  Saw a few elk.  I've hiked this before and this was the first time I didn't see any other people on the trail.  Which is nice in one regard, but it is nice to see another person every once in a while!

The sun managed to peek out a few times, highlighting how green it is right now!

My runs leading up to the 10k on Saturday were pretty short (3-4.5 miles) - tried lifting before work and running after work but I think that may be a little too much. 

Got these wireless headphones from Amazon.  Still up in the air about them, they were a nuisance during the race.. 

The 10k on Saturday was hot! It is the only road race of the Summer Run Series and it is advertised as the flattest and fastest, and it held up to that statement.  The race started by going in and out of downtown Flagstaff and then throughout nearby neighborhoods, where some residents put sprinklers out in the street for us, or were just straight up spraying us with their hoses (shout out to the old lady in her night gown) - which was much welcome in either case! 

I live for the day where I have a good running picture.

I managed to maintain a 9:12 min/mi pace, which is a minute faster than what I usually run at, at this altitude. Thus, I finished under an hour at 57:05! I can't find the results of this race last year, when I ran the 5k, but I'm sure I was still above 30 minutes for that, so that's a huge improvement.

Our next race isn't until the first week of August so I'm hoping to really step up my long run in the meantime, and try out some new trails. 

P.S. View from the apartment tonight - monsoon season is here!

1 comment: