about me

Sunday, September 27, 2015

blue apron review

This past week, I tried out Blue Apron for the first time..

First: Fresh Gnocchi and Maitake Mushrooms.

This was by far the easiest of the three recipes - and it was delicious.  I've never cut corn off the ear before so that was kind of fun. I love, love, love gnocchi so it was inevitable that I loved the dish.  However, the gnocchi never really turned that yellow color...ended up being grey even after cooking it.  I'm thinking I waited too long on making the recipe. But hey, I didn't get sick!  This is one I could definitely replicate on my own.

The alien gnocchi. Still tasted good.

Second: Summer Pepper Shakshuka.

Definitely my favorite, probably because I have never made anything like this before and it involved eggs and pita bread, as well as using ingredients I have never used before (sweet pepper, fingerling potatoes). So this is a North African dish with poached eggs in tomato, and pepper sauce.  Basically I used it as a dip with the pita bread and it was fantastic. I want more ASAP.

Heaven.


Third: Cajun Tofu and Dirty Rice.

As I'm back to vegetarian, this was my first tofu dish in almost two years.  This kindly reminded me how much I hate tofu.  Tofu's texture is funky, and you can easily screw up the cooking of it.  I was probably swayed by the terrible tofu, but this dish was definitely lacking something.  When I had the leftovers of it last night, I put some cheddar jack cheese on top and that made it bearable.  Usually I'm a big fan of rice...but not this time.

Also, made okra for the first time here.  I think I needed to let it cook longer..

Now, off on a road run. Couldn't get too many miles in yesterday thanks to lifting and hiking on Friday, so today should be better.

The hike was pretty gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment