about me

Sunday, September 23, 2018

marine corps marathon training update - 5 weeks away!

Okay, so I slacked on blog updates about training. So, here are a few of the highlights from Weeks 4 - 11 (7/30 - 9/23).
Shane killed it on the race photography game.
First thing first - unsurprisingly, it has been another hot and humid summer. I gradually transitioned my speedwork and tempo runs to the treadmill due to this and it just being more convenient for my body and schedule. A highlight (or low light if you are a strict outdoor runner) would be the 10 mile tempo run I did on a Wednesday morning during Week 10. Overall 8:22 pace - basically increased my speed every half mile. 
Mmmm good way to start the day. Good music is key for this.
However now, it is getting cooler, and my right hip has been achy during the day particularly after treadmill runs (not during), so it's time for me to get back outside. Even if my stomach doesn't want to. 
Did you know you can chafe from your Garmin? Neither did I. This hurt.
And a bonus this summer!! Camelbak Chafing.
My long runs have been a mixed bag. I have five 20 mile training runs on this plan. I have done 4 of them up to this point. One was my slowest ever - in Seattle - at overall 9:46 pace - granted, we hiked 10 miles at 5k-7k feet the day previously and my period started that morning... 
I mean let's be honest the hike was completely worth it.
Had to rock new Oiselle gear too! I did not do any other training activities this week other than my long run. It was nice to have a little break.
Then, I had my fastest 20 mile training run ever on the rolling hills of the Metroparks (not the flat as a pancake Towpath - my go-to last fall for Berlin) at an overall 8:49 pace. This was this past weekend.
I want to make sure I include all my incidents during training. New shoes..new blisters.
So, per typical, my training started off slow and not too exciting, but it seems like things are really coming together ever since Bird Camp. It helps that it is super motivating to see what it seems like, everyone, run marathons right now and crush it. 
Two key things I learned from Bird Camp: Run the mile you are in and lift heavy. I had been lifting fairly light (vs. other cycles) to change it up but I'm back at the heavy stuff (same day AFTER my runs). (this was taken before that decision)
5 weeks remain for this training cycle and I have my first (and possibly only) half marathon of this cycle this weekend - the Akron Half Marathon. The weather is looking...fantastic... I actually ran the first 12.7 miles of the course for my third 20 miler and did really well in 64 degrees, 88% humidity and rainy conditions. It has been super exciting to see the Blue Line driving all around Akron so I am already pumped. 
I made a friend during the last 7 miles of the Blue Line training run.  My Garmin stopped functioning properly around mile 17 so that was cool. Slightly concerns me but oh well. It doesn't seem to work well under any trees since this.. Also this run kind of made me want to run the Akron Marathon..

A lot of marathon courses, like Berlin, and apparently Akron, paint blue lines along the official marathon course.
I have done less spinning classes and more of my prescribed cycling workouts inside and outside. You bet  I'm putting the new bike to use (not pictured)! And yes that is a cat on the ground. 
Technically I should run this at my prescribed pace of 8:25 (1:50 finish) but... when in Rome/Akron. I may sob if I hit sub 1:40. I want it so badly!! Almost more than a BQ marathon time, lol.
I have stuck to my once a week yoga session. Running almost becomes a job when I'm training and yoga makes me feel all like *~*omg self-care*~*. 
I will post a recap of the Akron Half - this is a written commitment to myself.
I leave you with one of my favorite pictures of our trip to the Pacific Northwest!

No comments:

Post a Comment