about me

Monday, July 16, 2018

marine corps marathon training, week 1: hello there!

Helllooo structured workouts! It is finally time to start marathon training again, and this time, the Marine Corps Marathon is my goal race! 

(ICYMI: I used a different training plan this past winter to train for the Glass City Marathon in Toledo. The training plan focused on a lot of easy running and hardly had me run at race pace...so confidence wasn't there as it usually is. Additionally, I spent the last month leading up to the race traveling for work, then personal life events happened in the last week up to the race, including hitting/killing deer in Oklahoma on the way to my last long run...so...my mental game was weak.)

The Marine Corps Marathon is on Sunday, October 28th in DC. We start and finish at the Arlington Cemetery and run through Georgetown, the National Mall, by the Washington Monument, the Capitol, and the Lincoln Memorial. 

There is a significant hill in the first few miles that will be a challenge, but hey...maybe I will actually run smart, conserve energy in the beginning and have some negative splits! #positivity

Would it be weird if I ran with a flag of Ollie's face? Probably.
I entered the lottery for the marathon on a whim. I think it is like a 50% chance that you would get in but I may be making that up. Regardless, I tend to run well in places I don't know, and with a ton of other people and support along the course. I've been to DC once for like a day and a half so basically I don't know it at all/it will be nice to not know where I'm going. 

On that note, I also low-key will be running a marathon the weekend after Marine Corps. I signed up for a virtual marathon put on by the New York Road Runners...the organization that coordinates the New York City Marathon. 

The deets.
As long as I run 26.2 miles in one go under 6.5 hours, sometime between Nov 1-Nov 4, I will be running the New York City Marathon in 2019. A marathon to run a marathon. Logical, right? 

Anybody want to join me for a part of my "virtual" marathon in November? Taking volunteers to distract me from the pain!
Additionally, the odds of getting into the NYC Marathon is 18% through their lottery. And it's one of the World Marathon Majors I want to run..and hello, it's New York City. I'm done rationalizing.

Anyway, how did my first week of training go? I have been pretty good about not taking selfies, but now that blogging is back...prepare for a lot of sweaty faces.
Very attractive.
Run 1: Speed - 3x1600m (1mile), total 5.76 mi, overall 8:32 pace

Well, I was fully expecting to be around 8:10s for these mile repeats but hey, I was able to get 7:52, 7:51, and 7:45. Goal is to eventually have these around 7:00 (chuckles). Good starting point though! 

BTW, I got a new Garmin thanks to my April in Oklahoma.
Run 2: Tempo - 2 easy, 2 tempo, 2 easy ; total 6.12 mi, overall 8:46 pace. 
I actually stretched right after my run. This is groundbreaking.
Once again, I was surprised to hit sub-8s for this. 7:43 and 7:45 for the tempo miles. These would ideally be at 7:22 pace for these "short tempos". 

Run 3: Long - 12 miles ; overall 9:12 pace.
I caught the tail-end of an epic sunrise. I have missed seeing sunrises!
 I knew I should have started earlier than 6:45a to avoid the heat...but oh well. It was 77 degrees and a 69* dew point. The goal pace was 30 seconds over my goal marathon pace. Which... taking the weather into consideration, this was actually a better overall pace for where I estimate my current fitness at - though a lot of room for growth to get to that BQ. 
There was not a dry spot on my body. My hat was still dripping on the drive home. 
I am including a long hill in most of the beginning of my long runs in order to prepare myself for the same circumstance at the marathon. Even though I wasn't feeling it with the heat at all, I made sure to include it for this first long run.
The hill is harder than it appears. I am slightly biased.
+ Rowing, Biking, Spinning, Hot Yoga, 4 lifting sessions (2 upper, 2 lower inc. 2 core).
(My once per week yoga sessions for Glass City Marathon training were not happening so I have promised myself that I will stick to it this time like I did for Berlin and Milan)
 I was still getting in around 20 miles running per week during my non-marathon training time after Glass City. And bike rides!
I have been better about not eating out as much. (STL was my peak besides college). Though this bowl was delicious.
I am estimating that I am currently at a 3:50ish marathon capability and I would love to work it down to sub 3:35 (Boston Qualifying). 3:39 is my PR from this past September in Berlin. This training plan is my favorite that I have used and I am excited to see what progress I can make towards my goal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment